NCDC members may now submit their examples of good fundraising practice for entry into the 2017 Lumen Awards. The deadline for entry is June 30.
The call for entries has closed for 2017.
Lumen Award Entry Guidelines
All active and associate members of NCDC are eligible for the Lumen Awards. Corporate members may pay the entry fee for an NCDC member client, but the entry must be approved by the nonprofit organization.
- Each nonprofit member organization may submit ONE entry per category.
- All work completed between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016 is eligible.
- All methods of fundraising are eligible for the Lumen Awards, including: direct mail appeals, email appeals, special events, websites, multimedia (video, audio, webcast, etc.). If multiple channels were used (eg. mail and website), all channels must be included in one entry.
- All entries become the property of NCDC and will not be returned. Submission of pieces indicates permission to display entries at the Annual Conference and in any other venue, including online and electronic formats.
- NCDC reserves the right to move entries to another category or division if considered incorrectly categorized.
- Entries are classified into two divisions based on Gross Philanthropic Income.
- Entry fees are $75 per category for the first entry and $50 per entry for each additional category. Corporate members may pay the entry fee for an NCDC member client, but the entry must be approved by the nonprofit organization.
Lumen Awards are awarded points based on the following, equally-weighted criteria:
Copywriting, design, mission loyalty, ability to prompt the recipient to action, and response/net dollar results.
Accountability/Annual Report and Donor Relationship Enhancement categories are not judged on response/net dollar results, and the scores are calculated by the first four criteria (copywriting, design, mission loyalty, ability to prompt the recipient to action) only.
A panel of judges that includes NCDC members and NCDC Corporate Partners
selects winners from each division for each category, if there is a suitable recipient. All first-place award winners are displayed in a gallery the NCDC Annual Conference and are eligible for the “Best in Show” award. This award is decided based on a popular vote at the Annual NCDC Conference.
About the Lumen Awards
The National Catholic Development Conference Lumen Awards were created to acknowledge excellence in the ministry of fundraising and to enrich the Catholic development community through sharing this excellence. The Latin term lumen was chosen as the name of the award to represent the vision and clarity fundraisers must strive for while promoting their missions.
Award winning entries are not meant to be a “how-to,” but rather illustrate a superior example of good fundraising practice. The Lumen Award, a candlestick, celebrates the visible efforts of those doing God’s work in the world. Those holding the light set an example to follow and enlighten the Catholic fundraising community through their good works.