We, the members of the National Catholic Development Conference, respond to Christ’s invitation to build the kingdom. We hold sacred the trust established between the donors and the mission they choose to support.
Inspired by the Gospel call to stewardship, we serve the Church by respecting the hallowed ground on which donors and the mission meet. As trustees of what literally belongs to God, we strive for the highest ethical standards.
As disciples called to serve all of God’s people, we are accountable and responsible to religious authority, to donors and to the mission. We believe, above all else, that the Gospel values of human dignity and worth need generous space to flourish and grow.
Pledge and Promise
Therefore, the members of the National Catholic Development Conference pledge to embrace these precepts and values.
- Fidelity to the principles of stewardship and the gospel mandate to make a return to God for all the goodness we have received and to encourage and assist donors in their call to share their blessings.
- Integrity of mission so that requests for donations are in keeping with the charism and mission of the organization.
- Loyalty to those who benefit from the ministry of the organization for which funds are raised and respect for their personal dignity.
- Trustworthiness and respect for donor intent in assuring that donations are used for the purpose expressed.
- Loyalty to donors by respecting their choice to remain anonymous and/or to restrict the use of their personal information.
- Respect for authority by seeking approval from the appropriate religious authority for all fundraising and development activities.
- Honesty in dealing with vendors, consultants and corporate partners so that ethical business relationships are maintained.
- Fairness and truthfulness in relationships such that no member shall enter into any arrangement or contract involving payment in the form of a percentage or commission on funds raised.
- Accountability to the appropriate religious authority by regular communication on activities, goals and fundraising methods.
- Transparency and disclosure in financial matters.
- The organization will ensure sound internal control by appropriately segregating functions, particularly the duties of solicitation, collection, accounting and investment.
- The development office will not be in a position of seeking donations beyond the defined needs of the organization.
- The development office will respect the value of truthfulness by accurate and timely reporting to state, federal and canonical authorities and to donors upon request.